Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Treasures of the Old House


     Two great treasures were found in the old house. Uncle Enzley had been well educated and had a book case full of the classics. I read every book in there except the Book of Mormon. It was there but I didn't understand it and no one ever told me it was important to read it. I didn't read it until I was 26 and since have read it almost every year and it is my favorite book. I listen to it on my I Pod to go to sleep at night.
I had read COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO three times by the time I was 13. I smiled as I read it last year, on my Kindle, how much I didn't understand, when I was 13. I wish I had written down the titles of those books, Most I read more than once since there was nothing else to read.
     My mother's sister, Velma Lake Cordon, died of stomach cancer, leaving three older children and baby Marcy. After her death, her husband couldn't take care of Marcy so Mother took her and cared for her for several years, until her father remarried. When Marcy was only two or three Marva and I had a choice. One could watch Marcy all day or one could work in the morning and have the afternoon off. I always choose the afternoon off so I could read. I would take a book and go to the old sheep camp and read all afternoon. That was my idea of heaven. Even today I find TV boring, I would rather read a book.

The other great treasure was a pump organ that worked perfectly. I only wish I had ask Uncle Enzley its history. The organ consisted of two foot petals that you pumped regularly to give the air needed to make the sound.  We only had the hymn book and I wanted to learn to play the songs. When Uncle Deak married Vivian Ricks, who was a school teacher and musician, she taught me how to play. Aunt Vivian was ward organist but was sick a lot and so I was the only other one in the ward who could play. I only knew a few songs so we sang them over and over, when I had to play. I was Primary organist before I was 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment