Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Eighth Grade Graduation

gwen 025

It used to by the graduation from the Eighth Grade was as big as graduation from High School.  Some never got anymore education than that. Mom even went to a beauty parlor and got her hair done, with two other girls.  One girl didn’t have any money to get her hair done.  Mom has always felt badly that they didn’t do something to help her.  Mom thinks that girl looked the best in the picture though. 

Mom says,

”The night  of graduation, my grandma and Grandpa Atkinson and my family came.  My grandparent Lakes couldn't come.  Grandpa Lake didn't drive and they lived north of Rexburg by the cemetery.

My grandparents gave me a gold locket, with my initials on it.  I still treasure it today.  Two the of the boys never went on to school, but all 4 girls graduated from High School.  You will never know how many times I have regretted that I didn't continue my education.  I had no way to get to Ricks, no money to register and my goal was to get a college education.  I went back when Kent was in first grade but I soon realized I could learn more on my own.  I took correspondent classes for several years, all of which were religion classes.”

 galocetcrop

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in knowing who the picture in the locket is

    ReplyDelete