Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ship Christening

I was welding at Kaiser when I was chosen to christen the ship U.S.S. Victor C. Vaughn.on Sept. 12, 1943.

gwen 180

I put all my salary into ward bonds. They drew good interest. My pay check was less that five dollars, we were saving for a farm. One lady from our shipyards was to be chosen to christen a ship. I was the one selected and i know it was because of the amount of saving bonds I was buying.

Jess's parents and my parents, plus Rachel's sister Mary and husband Arthur Niederer, drove to Portland for the grand occasion. Gas and tires were rationed and it was a sacrifice for them to use their gas stamps to come. They all stayed in Mike and Millie's house and our trailer. A chauffeur in a limousine came to pick me up. He presented me with a dozen long stemmed American Beauty roses. When it was time for the christening opening ceremony our relatives hadn't shown up. They had stopped to eat at a slow cafe and were late. Never before had a private car driven down to the launching dock. Jess's Dad drove right up to where the ceremony was to take place.

 gwen 179 The man in charge told me to swing hard or the champagne bottle would not break. He hadn't reckoned with an Idaho farm girl. I hit the ship so hard that the bottle shattered, dousing us all with champagne. After, a banquet was held at the main office building with speeches and honors.. They presented me with a silver jewelry case. The folks had to leave the next day to go back to the farm. It was a busy time of the year for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment