Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Church Callings

My first calling was Primary organist when I was 12.  I couldn’t play very well but I was the only one who could come in the day time.  We had Primary right after school.  I even taught a lesson a few times.    Aunt Vivian Atkinson was ward organist but really sick, when pregnant.  I played the pump organ the best I could.  What really scared me I had to accompany a quartet of men, when they sang at funerals.     It was war time and all the men were gone and I was the Gleaner teacher in MIA.   This was all the girls 17 and over.  Since there were no boys around and nothing much to do, we had a large group that attended regularly.    We had lessons and produced two different one act plays.  We presented them at Archer, Lyman and Independence wards.   We earned money and bought candy, soap and personal articles and sent them to Russia.  The mailing charge was more than the cost of the articles mailed.

     My next job was Pres. of the MIA.  This was easier.  I had more to help me.  Every summer we would take all the girls, over age 12, to the hills, camping.  We loaded all our supplies and girls in Stanley Erickson’s old truck and went up Kelly Canyon where we

  girls camp truck girls camp 3

 

 

girls camp 2girls camp

set up camp.  We didn’t have any  man help for the rest of the week.  It didn’t scare me then, but it would now.  The best part was that Isabelle Nelson volunteered to stay with us and be responsible for the meals.  She was a fabulous  dutch oven cook and we had wonderful meals.  I don’t remember what we did for activities but I do remember how happy everyone was and no personality clashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment