Friday, November 23, 2012

Steve

steveWe had chosen the name, Steve, for a boy and ,Cynthia, for a girl.  I never was able to name any of my children Cynthia Sally Sutton.  Steve was born Aug. 28, 1945.  It is easy to remember his age.  I was 20 when he was born.  How proud we were of our first son.  We took more pictures of him than all the other 5 put together.  I wish I had taken more pictures of my sons when they were little and had written their names on the pictures.  I have several I don’t know which son it is. I had to stay in the maternity home for ten days.  They told us if we got up for anything, our insides would fall out.  I was so weak I could hardly walk to the car so I  went to my mother’s for a few days.

World War 11 ended and I didn’t get in on any celebration. There was dancing in the streets and we knew that it was the war to end all wars.  Jess went with Dale Clay to celebrate.  Jess was only gone a few hours and came back home.  Dale drove our car but brought it back later.  Dale always borrowed our car for his dates.  One night he totaled our car and sent two men to the hospital.  Dale never made any attempt to pay for the car.  Cars were not built during war time and we had to buy a used Nash, which was the worst car we ever owned.

 
Late one night, Jess came in from irrigating and said he had never seen Steve with his eyes open so we woke him up to play with him.  That was the only time we ever woke up a baby just to play.  In those days you were supposed to feed a baby every four hours and not one minute sooner.  Steve would eat for a few minutes and then go back to sleep.  He would wake up in a couple of hours and want to eat again.  The doctor said the worst thing we could do was feed him too often.  After a few nights of listening to him cry, Jess said that was ridiculous, so we put him in bed with us and fed him when he cried.  It worked and Steve slept all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment