Sunday, July 8, 2012

Dating in Driggs

      When mom lived in Driggs at the pea packing shed, she lived in a room in a Motel with some other girls. She said, “ I was 16 and soon dating two fellows.One was the son of the motel manager. He was older than I was and I never felt comfortable around him, and I didn't like his ways. Billy Sewell's dad owned the Ford dealership and he drove a new car. I soon was dating only Billy. We had fun. We went to Green Canyon swimming, once to Pocatello and Saturday night to dances at Jackson. Going to Jackson was scary because the old road was switch backs and narrow. One night we had a flat tire on the pass and I was terrified. One Saturday night, Billy said his Dad didn’t feel good about us driving to Jackson to the dance. I told him his Dad was right so we went to the bowling alley and bowled.

Billy had a sharp mind and we enjoyed playing word games. He was two years older but I could hold my own in these games. One night I had a cold and didn’t go to work. The crew was suppose to work until ten that night. Billy came to entertain me. Just the two of us in that little motel room playing three handed dummy pinnacle. We were laughing and having a good time, when all at once the owner of the motel jumped into the room. I could tell by the look on her face she was expecting to see something. She was embarrassed and said she had just come into the room to turn off the light. I was so innocent at the time I didn’t have the faintest idea what she expected to find. As soon as she left, Billy left also.

Each Saturday one of the girl’s parents would come and bring us groceries for the coming week. At the end of the season all the other girls had been fired and only Helen Mae Hillman and I stayed in Driggs. My folks car didn’t run very well but they came to get us, they weren’t leaving us two girls up there alone in that motel. By that time school had already started and we were anxious to get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment