Thursday, July 19, 2012

Flowers, Flowers, Flowers

mom and hollys

   When I was young, 11 to 17 there was a huge yellow rose bush right out my east bedroom window.  Because it was in the shade it bloomed for a long time.    When my Grand mother Atkinson died there was a beautiful vase of long stem yellow roses.  The family gave them to me and I brought them home and dried them.  They were in my bedroom for a long time.   Now the Holy Hock is my favorite flower.  Several reasons, it comes up by itself every year and has deep roots, so it requires little water.  It also blooms for a long time.

When I first moved to Newdale, in 1993, the yards were huge and a mess.  The first thing I did was haul rocks from the hill to cover up the hill just out the front door.  I pulled weeds and planted flowers and had a huge garden.  If you remember the spot in the gutter east of the front lawn was beautiful, after I hauled in fresh dirt and planted packets of wildflowers.  I made the mistake of hauling manure from Munn's livestock place and got a lot of weed seeds.  Our house was on city water and so very expensive to irrigate that huge yard..  I was getting left over fruit from Albertsons, at this time and I shared with the Mexican pipe movers, who moved pipe around my house.  They would run the pipe down through my yard any time they had water near and pulled the end plug to let that water soak my yards..  They were very good to me.    It really hurts to go by the house that I left, 6 years ago, and now see most of the lawn and all the huge trees on the west, dying from lack of water.

The yards in Archer needed extra work.  When Hilary lived in this house, she came to my house in Newdale and got flower starts from my yards,  to plant here in Archer.   The biggest improvement I have made in my Archer home was just this spring.  A neighbor who needed moeny and made extra money by,selling junk, came and totally cleaned up old roofing etc..  Jill and Lincoln came the day we emptied out the old shed.    Steve comes twice a year and fertilizes my lawn and until last year, Kent's family, mowed the lawn.  I love my Archer house and yards.. 

DSC_0016DSC_0017DSC_3805.JPG

DSC_3803.JPGThese are all from Grandma’s GardenDSC_3800.JPG

1 comment:

  1. Your yard flowers are beautiful. I planted my holly hocks as soon as I got home from Idaho but haven't seen anything bloom. Any suggestions to get them growing?

    ReplyDelete