Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Gold and Green Ball Queen

 

I remember many outstanding things about High School.  Dances were held once a month, alternating between Archer and Lyman. The Squires orchestra furnished the music. Everyone of all ages would join in and trade dances.   Each ward had a Golden Green ball and a queen was chosen for the ward.  At first the queen, was chosen by the number of ballots purchased for her.  The girl with the richest boyfriend or Dad always won.  By the time I was a senior the bishopric chose the queen.  It was a great honor.  I reigned over the Lyman Green and Gold Ball  and also reigned with the queens, from the other wards, at the stake dance.
We all had our pictures in the newspaper.  I don't remember where the beautiful bright red, three tier taffeta dress I wore came from but I wore it that night.  And every dance I went to for years after.  It always fit because I never changed sizes. One year, after the birth of several sons and before I stored it away, I washed it and ruined it.

Obviously not Mom’s picture, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment