Monday, December 3, 2012

Lee Henry

lee 

  Lee Henry was born December 23, 1946, at the same maternity home, where Steve had been born.  The other babies born earlier were a couple of days old and went home for Christmas, but Lee and I had to stay. Lee was a beautiful baby.  His hair was long and over his face and the doctor wanted to cut his hair.  Lee was a contented baby.   It was lonely and I thought it was the worst Christmas I had ever had.  The day after Christmas, when it was time for breakfast, I could smell bacon.  I was hungry.  When the breakfast tray came there wasn’t any bacon.  I ask the lady in charge if she had forgotten the bacon and she replied she only cooked enough to flavor the eggs.   I still think of that sometimes when I smell bacon cooking.  

      During the war,  you couldn’t purchase anything made with metal.  We had received a Montgomery Ward catalogue.  It displayed a portable sewing machine, but underneath was written, “not available”.  We decided to order it anyway and sent the check.  We never heard anything back and the check wasn’t cashed.  While I was in the maternity home, the sewing machine came and Jess put it in front of the Christmas tree.     I was released from the maternity home, after eight days and was going to stay with my mother.  It was cold and I wanted to see Steve.  Jess insisted that we go home first.  I was out of sorts.  I didn’t want to go to that cold home.  Jess instead and I stepped inside the door and saw the sewing machine. I know it was one of the best Christmas presents ever.  I had Lee Henry and a sewing machine.   That sewing machine was still in good condition but it was misplaced when I moved down from Newdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment