Monday, January 28, 2013

Car Miracle

Jess had bought an old green Plymouth car from the State Highway Department.  We let the pipe movers drive it, to move pipe so you can imagine how dirty it was.  I had planned on driving the good car to Stake Sunday School Leadership meeting.  At the last minute, either Steve or Lee needed the good car.  I tried to clean the old car but that made me late.  My mother taught me that an Atkinson was never late.  When I got to the corner by the store, the voice within me said, "Go Home".  I thought, I haven't got time.  Again the voice said, "Gwen, go home."  I immediatley thought that something was wrong with one of the boys so I went back.  I was driving too fast and when I got just to our house and slammed on the brakes there wasn't any brake.  I  sailed right up over the bridge and the car didn't stop until I was by Irvine Burns's field.

    I now understood why the voice within me told me to go back home.  The next place I would have needed the brakes would have been when I tried to stop on the main highway at Winder. Highway 91 was a busy road, before the free way was built.  I would not have been able to stop the car, at that corner and could have hit another car.

    Later, when Jess looked at the brakes he said the brake line had broken.  What a blessing that the brakes hadn't gone out, when the pipe movers were driving down a steep hill. I have always been grateful that I heeded that voice within me and that I was living so the Holy Ghost could guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment