Sunday, January 27, 2013

Randy’s Broken Leg

Bessie 011     Randy started school, when he was six.  He was three years behind Tom because he had missed the school deadline by twenty four hours.  I tried to get the school board to let him start early because he could already read.  Tom would bring his papers home and Randy would read them.  When Randy started school, the teacher said he could read better than most of the second grade so at Christmas break they advanced him to second grade.
 

The first year we farmed the Summer's, place we  had seed spuds left over that we had cut in the Webster cellar.  We didn't have a cellar yet.  LaVar Grover wanted to buy the seed but wanted to look at it first.  Jess and I took the three youngest with us and went up to the cellar.  While we were visiting, Tom and Randy climbed some pallets, that were leaning against the wall.  The pile slid down and trapped Randy.  His leg was broken.  I felt badly about it.  I had left him, while I cut spuds and then when we were all finished and I was taking care of him, his leg was broken.  I wonder how many mothers have regrets similar to mine.  Randy remembered his Dad driving carefully over the dry farm roads to Rexburg to Dr. Hoffman, since each bump caused more pain.

     The bad things about it was that Randy couldn't go swimming all summer.  The boys enjoyed swimming and it was a must. You couldn't become an Eagle scout without passing the swimming and life saving merit badges .  Randy said (1987) said he remembered chasing the boys around the church gym with his crutches.  One day he and Milon Neilson were playing in the end of the chicken coop and Milon put sawdust down his cast.   He was in misery with the itching.  We spent a long time with a clothes hanger getting the saw dust out and Randy didn't complain the next day.

     The Primary had an around the block parade and Randy was David chasing LaMar Wilcox with a sling shot.  I thought Randy was walking pretty good, for only having the cast off for a week.  A friend said he should be walking better than that.  He would probably have a limp all his life, my heart ached.  When I prayed that night, I ask the Lord what I should do so Randy didn't limp.  The little voice inside me, reassured me that his leg would be normal.  It was only a few weeks later that he was walking without a limp.

No comments:

Post a Comment