Monday, January 21, 2013

Kent

Kent2Kent was born Sept. 23, 1959. I wanted him born before we started digging spuds. Tom and Randy had both been born at harvest time. All five times before, when I went for delivery, I was ready. Only the sixth time was I sent back home. The doctor told me I was just anxious for the baby to come. I waited a few more days and when I went back this time, it only took a few hours for Kent to come.

Kent was small but healthy in every way. I became angry when people would look at my beautiful baby boy and say how badly they felt about him not being a girl. I trusted the Lord to know what was best for me and my family. With six sons and one bathroom the bathroom door was never closed unless I went in. I had planned all along on a girl. I hadn’t had any morning sickness with the first five but with Kent I would get deadly sick, just as I started cooking supper.

I hadn’t purchased any new baby clothes so I didn’t have anything pink. I still have the dress I crocheted for Steve and all the boys were blessed in it. Kent was pure pleasure from the word go. He was good natured, active and his brothers loved him with a passion.

Lee was very protective of Kent. We could never scold or punish Kent because Lee would always put his arms kent and Leearound Kent and console him. Kent was still sleeping with Jess and I, while I nursed him. After I weaned him, I couldn’t get him to go to bed by himself, he was terrified of the basement. The only way we could get him to sleep was for someone to lay down by him. Lee would take Kent downstairs and lay by him until he was asleep and then come back up stairs. Lee let Kent sleep with him every night.

One night when we were boating by Little Elk Creek, Kent was sleeping in a sleeping bag with Lee and he wet the bed. Lee woke me up and told me what had happened and I dried Kent and wrapped him in a quilt and Lee tucked Kent back in with him and they were both soon asleep. Lee has always had a tender spot in his heart for anyone having trouble. He was good to help me when I was busy.

   Kent said he never remembered Steve living at home. Steve went to Moscow to school, when Kent was two and was married when Kent was five.

No comments:

Post a Comment