Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Jeannie

 

The state had a program for unwed mothers.  They ask me to take care of a girl named Jeannie, until her baby was born.  Jess said it was OK if I wouldn’t lend her any money or drive the car.    I worried about the influence she would have on Tom, who was two years younger.  I shouldn’t have worried Tom was shocked by her language, attitude and values.  To us she seemed like a hippie.   I wanted to share our values with her but she was the boss and set in her ways.  When she complained about something then it became her job to do that chore.   Her biggest complaint was that I took care of grandkids too much.

She loved Jess.  The minute he came home she practically sat in his lap and wanted to visit with him.  After supper, Jess would take the newspaper into the bathroom, to read.  She was supposed to go to a monthly support meeting with other unwed mothers.   She only went to one meeting and didn’t stay long.  She came out and said they were a bunch of sniffling spoiled brats.  I was thankful Jess was busy with farming and taking lessons and studying for his instrument rating.    

  Jeannie read the Lamaze book about how to have a baby without pain.  She informed me it was ridiculous how women cried and carried on

during birth.  She had read the book and knew how to do it without any fuss.  I smiled when she begged for pain medicine after the first real pain.   I had never seen a baby or even an animal born so Dr. Passey thought I should have that experience.  I nearly fainted and I will never do that again. 

Jeannie wanted to continue to live with us after Eric was born but I said, no.  Now it was time for her parents to take care of her.  I drove her to her mother’s home and sat in the car for over an hour, while she talked to her mother.  Her mother finally agreed to let her come home.    Jeannie stayed in contact with us for many years.  She had a difficult life, with many heartaches  and her only baby, Eric, died at 17. 

  Later that year I had another girl come and live with us.  She was only sixteen.  She had no manners or social skills.  She wouldn’t eat with the family she ate in her bedroom.  She told me she had never eaten with a fork before.  I tried everything I could think of to help her but she was home sick and wanted to go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment