Monday, March 25, 2013

Ricks College

I had planned on going back to school, after Kent started school but couldn’t, because of being R.S. President.  Now was my opportunity.  I knew I couldn’t start until the winter semester because we were busy digging spuds most of October.  I started by taking a night class, Composition and English, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  The next winter I registered as a full student.  I arranged all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday.  I shouldn’t have signed up for a two credit piano class.  I didn’t have time to practice an hour a day.  I was lucky to just get the studying done I needed for the other classes.  My music teacher was super depressed.  He told me his troubles and wanted advice.  Now 2013, I wish I could take piano lessons.  I know the basics but I have no techniques.   

        I took a class on current affairs.  The teacher wasted a lot of time.  He told us to subscribe to the U.S. News magazine.  Then he was going to wait for our magazine to come and study it.  It was two months before the magazine came.  I had spent good money for that class and I didn’t want to waste my money.   My best class was vocabulary building.  I have always read a lot so I knew the words but now I knew their deeper meaning.  I still find that fascinating today. 

       My English class was the only one, I didn’t get a straight A.  There were only seven of us in the class and competition stiff but I enjoyed the class.  My history class was perfect.  David Crowder was the finest teacher.  When I took my first test, I was heartbroken. I only scored 65.  I later learned I had the second highest score in a class of fifty.     My Religion class tests were hard.  I soon realized that every question could be answered from my class notes, so I memorized them.  After scoring a hundred on several tests,  Mr. Stucki ask how I prepared for the tests.  The best lecture he gave was on polygamy.  There were more women than men who had joined the church and many men killed during the persecution.  How much better for one man to care for two women, than a woman to struggle on her own.   Since Jess died, I realize how lonely it is, to live alone.  Polygamy failed because many involved were not living with Christian love for each other. Reply Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment