Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sewing

1960's Womens Pattern    I became enthused about sewing, now that I had three granddaughters.  I visualized making all their clothes, so Jess bought me a sewing machine.  I took two different sewing classes.  Double knit fabric was new on the market.  It was considered the ultimate in material because it didn’t wrinkle and didn’t fray, but it was expensive.   Little did I realize that twenty years later no one wanted it.    A size ten fit me perfectly.  I bought material and sewed like mad.  I had some of the most expensive dust rags in Archer.  I also had the hall way shelves, full of fabric. I had purchased on sale.  I even ordered two hundred dollars, worth of remnants and sold them from my house.  I never did that again.

      I did a lot of sewing for Berneice Neilson.  I even made her and Bessie Wilcox dresses to wear to the Temple.  I loved sewing and then one day I looked in my closet and there were many things I had sewn and never worn, I never sewed for myself again.  Randy and Tom were dancing with the M.I.A. and needed bright colored shirts, trimmed with rick-rack.    I also made Dyle Erickson’s shirt.  The next year they needed pink vests and I made several of those.  Just a few years later sewing became boring and I quit sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment