Monday, February 25, 2013

1966 A Dream Come True

 

A dream came true and yet a nightmare began. I had always wanted the wall between the kitchen and front room taken out. I also wanted the basement finished. As we talked to carpenters about taking out the wall, they said it couldn’t be done because it was a joist bearing wall. We ask Grant Burns if he would come and finish the basement. I told him what I wanted and casually mentioned how disappointed I was that they couldn’t take out the wall between front room and kitchen. He said it wouldn’t be a problem, it could be done. I was delighted. I wanted a room big enough to set tables the length of the two rooms and I wanted to be able to watcSuttons 004h TV from the kitchen table.

That is when the nightmare started. Grant set up his saw in the middle of the kitchen and started to tear down the wall. I had sawdust everywhere and in everything for four months. I vowed I would never again remodel a house, while I was living in it and yet after the fire, in 1970 and we had to remodel. I was grateful I had a place to live. I cooked for Grant and men that helped farm. Grant was fun to have around and Arnold Briggs, my sister’s husband, was working shift work and came to help. The new combined room was perfect and the basement walls had a smooth surface.

     Christmas Dinner in the New Room

No comments:

Post a Comment