Thursday, August 16, 2012

1942 ….. Grain Field to Marriage

That summer I thinned and hoed beets and potatoes and also rode derrick horse, turned hay and shocked grain.  The grain was cut with a swather, which tied and laid the bundles of grain, on the ground.  We would stand the bundles up with the grain heads to the sun where they could finish drying, so they could be hauled to the thresher.  Much of the grain had thistles in it.  We didn't have much for shoes or socks and no gloves and yet we handled those thistles because we knew it had to be done and we were the only ones that would do it.  Jess was working long hours farming for Ronald Hill and was so tired but we still tried to get together to just talk and be together.   One Sunday two days before Jess' twenty second birthday, we took a picnic lunch up Kelly Canyon.  Jsss gave me a diamond ring and we were officially engaged.  We planned on being married on my birthday,Nov. 21, when I would be eighteen.  By August we decided to get married and August 27, 1942.  We wanted to get married before grain harvest, which was followed by potato harvest.  I am ashamed to admit I had no desire to get married in the Temple.  The Idaho Falls Temple wasn't built until 1945 and none of my friends and I ever talked about Temple marriage.  How could I have taken 3 years of Seminary and never had a desire for the Temple?

   I didn't realize until after what a financial burden this placed on my parents.  They didn't have any money.  They sold some pigs, that weren't big enough to bring top money.   Mom and I went shopping for me a going away dress and  I thought every thing was too expensive.  My mother finally in exasperation said, "Quit looking at the price tag and pick out one you like."  I picked a green velvet two piece dress that I loved and wore for years.  It was a long time before I had another new dress.

     

gwen 049WE were married at Jess's parents home by Bishop Sterling Magleby.  I wore my graduation dress.  Jess's mother served a wedding dinner right after the ceremony for both families.  Rachel had bought red glass plates and gave them to us after the dinner.
We only had three days for a honeymoon.  Jess had to be back to work Monday.  We went to the the finest hotel in Idaho Falls, (Bonneville).Friday and Saturday we spent at a hotel in St.Anthony.  We visited Jess's friends in Ashton and my grandpa Atkinson and his new wife, who were living in Chester and made grand plans for the future.

 

 

Wedding Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment