Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Welding Job

 welding
     I was lucky and got a job at the factory welding electric filaments on a device about as big as my hand.  Three of us applied and two of us were hired.  The nice thing the city bus picked me up a block from where I lived. To take me to work.
    Again my competitive nature took over.  They told us the highest number of grids that had been welded in one day and I knew I could weld more than that.  The first time I set a new record I worked through my lunch break.  After I did that for several weeks, I could weld more than that and still take a lunch break.
     I was still living at the boarding house but when Jess came from the desert, where he was working, to Salt Lake he couldn’t stay in the boarding house so I moved into a private home.  This didn’t work out either.  I had to eat all my meals out and there wasn’t a café up there on the avenues.  I only stayed there a week.
  Jess didn’t like working out on the desert and living with a group of men.  He quit his job the week before Christmas and moved back to Salt Lake.
     Everyone warned us we would  have a hard time finding an apartment but we found one the first day we looked.  3rd south and 3rd east and only had one room.  The couch made out into a bed.  We shared a bathroom with four other apartments.  It was close enough to walk to town and I could catch the bus to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment