Monday, August 20, 2012

First Home

 

     gwen 171

 

I wonder if all newly married couples were as unconcerned as we were, about where we were going to live.  After the honeymoon, we stayed with Jess’s folks, while we looked for a place to live.  We decided not to buy a two room log house from Mattie Erickson’s brother.  Rachel thought we ought to buy it and move it by their house.  We finally decided to rent a little two room house across the street from Wilcox's, (across from where Jan Wilcox lives).  I thought this house was fantastic, it had electricity.   My folks didn’t get electricity until after I had been married two years..  It was called the honeymoon cottage, since so many newly weds rented it.  I didn’t have an electric stove but I had a two burner electric hot plate to cook on so I didn’t have to build a fire in the cook stove for everything.  We went down to Jess’s folk every Saturday night to take a bath and Rachel washed all our clothes since I didn’t have a washer or any running water.  We packed all our water from a hand pump outside and had an outhouse.

   ***** August 27th would be our 70th wedding anniversary.  I can still remember the excitement we felt when we moved into that first little home!!!

gwen 172

No comments:

Post a Comment