Monday, August 20, 2012

Cooking

 

I didn’t know how to cook, but Jess did. I had always worked outside and my sister Marva helped cook. The first thing I did was go to my mother and ask her how to prepare a meal. I wrote down her instructions. She told me to peel the potatoes and put them on to cook half an hour before we were to eat. We didn’t have much meat during the summer months because we didn’t have fridge. We ate a lot of scrambled eggs and Jess liked them. Our vegetables came from every ones gardens and I was suppose to put them on to cook at a certain time too. I didn’t try to make bread or do any baking.

Wilcox’s had a huge orchard by our house and I decided to make an apple pie. I worked all afternoon and had the house hot from the wood stove to heat the oven. When I took the pie from the oven I tasted it and promptly took it outside and buried it. Jess’s friends were in the army and when they came to visit we took them out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment